Brent Barton Trial Attorney
A native Oregonian, Harvard Law School grad, and former state legislator, Brent is also one of the more accomplished civil trial lawyers of his generation. He has litigated complex cases all over Oregon and has argued in front of the Oregon Supreme Court and Oregon Court of Appeals. He has obtained over $85 million dollars in verdicts or settlements for clients, including more than twenty cases that resolved in excess of $1,000,000.
Brent and Bill partner on high-stakes cases, where Brent brings an extreme attention to detail and a passion for the science and medicine behind the cases. He relishes working on the most complex matters that other firms shy away from, proving that work ethic, tenacity, and resolve run in the family.
“I’ve been fortunate to build on Bill's legacy, and I appreciate working on the intricate and demanding cases which bigger firms, focused on volume and ‘efficiencies,’ would never dare to try, and small less-experienced firms could not afford to prepare,” he says. “I don’t take that opportunity, or that responsibility, lightly.”
Brent’s passion for science and medicine strengthens the firm’s catastrophic injury and medical negligence practice, and makes him uniquely qualified to hold hospitals and other medical providers accountable. He and his wife experienced a difficult pregnancy, and Brent has specialized in birth injury cases ever since.
Being accomplished early in his career is nothing new for Brent. After graduating from law school, he litigated complex business disputes for four years at Perkins Coie, the largest law firm in the Pacific Northwest, before joining Barton Trial Attorneys in 2010 and being named partner in 2016. In 2008, he became Oregon's youngest legislator when he was elected to the Oregon House of Representatives at age 28. In his three terms in public office, he championed protections for children, seniors, and veterans, including legislation allowing consumers to hold insurance companies accountable for unfair practices.
He has been recognized repeatedly by Super Lawyers, as one of Oregon’s “Rising Stars” in the areas of personal injury and medical malpractice, since 2010.
“Brent is one of Oregon’s best lawyers. He’s taking the family practice into the next generation.”
—Dylan Richards, client
In his free time, Brent volunteers for two causes important to him: supporting local arts organizations and engaging young people in law and government. He also performs pro bono legal work to nonprofits like the Oregon Humane Society, the Children’s Trust Fund of Oregon, and the Oregon Bus Project, among others. He lives with his wife and two sons in Portland.
- Stanford University, BA, 2002
- Stanford University, MA, 2002
- Cambridge University, MPhil, 2003
- Harvard Law School, JD, 2006
- Author, Informal Legal Systems in Latin America
- Author, Brazil and the Balance of Power
- Author, Judicial Reform in Latin America
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses, Member
- Oregon Trial Lawyers Association ("OTLA"), Board of Governors
- OTLA Professional Negligence Section, Co-Chair
- Portland Opera, Former Board Member
- Children’s Trust Fund of Oregon, Board Member
- Oregon House of Representatives, State Representative (2009-11 and 2013-17)
- Oregon Criminal Justice Commission, Former Member
- Willamette River Cleanup Authority, Former Member
- Oregon Parole Board Advisory Committee, Former Member
- Oregon Ballet Theatre, Former Trustee
- Oregon Bus Project, Former Board Member
- Frequent volunteer for Classroom Law Project, teaching civics to students
- Member, Oregon Trial Lawyers Association, Oregon State Bar, Multnomah Bar Association, Clackamas Bar Association, Lincoln County Bar Association and American Association for Justice
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Oregon State Bar President's Public Service Award, 2016