Brent Barton Trial Attorney
Brent has always fought on behalf of working families, injured and underrepresented people. Before joining the Barton Law Firm, Brent litigated at the largest law firm in the Northwest. He serves in the Oregon House of Representatives, championing protections for children, seniors, and veterans, including legislation allowing consumers to hold insurance companies accountable for unfair practices. Brent’s work ethic and dedication are renowned, as demonstrated by his first election. In one of Oregon’s great political upsets, the then 28-year-old Brent defeated a well-financed incumbent by knocking on over 11,000 doors (earning three dog bites in the process) to become Oregon's youngest legislator.
“Brent’s energy and tenacity are amazing! He took off running with the case.”
—Casey Deckard, client
The imbalance of power, in both politics and law, fuels his passion for protecting everyday people against powerful interests, and engages his skill set of ideological thinking, advocacy, research, strategy, and asking the big questions. “I firmly believe you can accomplish more working through the process and the system than protesting outside it,” he says.
In his free time, Brent volunteers for two causes important to him: supporting local arts organizations and engaging young people in law and government. He also lends a hand through pro bono legal work to nonprofits like the Oregon Humane Society, the Children’s Trust Fund of Oregon, and the Oregon Bus Project, among others. He lives with his wife in Oregon City, and divides his time between offices in Newport and Portland.
- Stanford University, BA, 2002
- Stanford University, MA, 2002
- Cambridge University, MPhil, 2003
- Harvard Law School, JD, 2006
- Author, Informal Legal Systems in Latin America
- Author, Brazil and the Balance of Power
- Author, Judicial Reform in Latin America
- Oregon House of Representatives, State Representative
- Portland Opera, Board Member
- Children’s Trust Fund of Oregon, Board Member
- Oregon Criminal Justice Commission, Former Member
- Willamette River Cleanup Authority, Former Member
- Oregon Parole Board Advisory Committee, Former Member
- Oregon Ballet Theatre, Former Trustee
- Oregon Bus Project, Former Board Member
- Frequent volunteer for Classroom Law Project, teaching civics to students
- Member, Oregon Bar Association, Multnomah Bar Association, Clackamas Bar Association
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2010, 2011, 2012